524 East 5th Street | Block : 400 | Lot #18
Description & Building Alterations
This row of nine identical buildings (506-524 East 5th Street) was built for owner William B. Astor as investment properties in 1859-1860. They each housed eight families above a ground-floor store. These Italianate tenements had arched, brownstone lintels and simple, projecting sills and would have had raised stoop entrances. No. 524 is the narrowest of the row, but still housed eight families. Today, while it maintains its brick facade, the brownstone lintels and sills have been lost and the cornice removed. The ground floor, although completely altered, is the only one to still have commercial space.
Block : 400 / Lot : 18 / Building Date :1859-1860 / Original Owner : William B. Astor / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect: Unknown