524 East 6th Street | Block : 401 | Lot #22
Description & Building Alterations
This five-story pre-law Italianate tenement was built in 1859-1860 as one in a row of 12 identical tenements by wealthy landowner and developer William B. Astor. This row was built in conjunction with another matching row of tenements between Nos. 193 and 209 East 4th Street that Astor built the same year.
In 1935 the ground-floor shops were converted into apartments. The upper levels have also been altered, and the lintels have either been shaved down or were replaced with new ones. The brick also appears new, and this combined with a new cornice seem to indicate that the facade is more modern than 1859-1860.
Block : 401 / Lot : 022 / Building Date : 1859-1860 / Original Owner : William B. Astor / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Unknown