525 East 5th Street | Block : 401 | Lot #51
Description & Building Alterations
Built as a row of 13 speculative tenements developed by William B. Astor in 1860-61, the last 10 buildings, including No. 525, were constructed using the same plan with only minor alterations as material availability changed. The construction began on the western portion of the block and moved east.
Designed in the Italianate style, No. 525 has had its arched brownstone lintels shaved down. The pressed-metal cornice is retained, as is the unpainted brick facade. The raised-stoop entrance was removed and the resulting first floor was converted into apartments in 1969. The small windows in the center were installed in 1915.
Block : 401 / Lot : 051 / Building Date : 1860-1861 / Original Owner : William B. Astor / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Unknown