526 East 6th Street | Block : 401 | Lot #23
Description & Building Alterations
This five-story pre-law Italianate tenement was built in 1859-1860 as one in a row of 12 identical tenements by wealthy landowner and developer William B. Astor. This row was built in conjunction with another matching row of tenements between Nos. 193 and 209 East 4th Street that Astor built the same year.
The details on No. 526 vary from its neighbors. It was last of the row to be built, likely not completed until early 1860 which could indicate the building supply company simply changed the style of lintels and cornices it carried. As a result, this building was still designed in the Italianate style, but the lintels are arched rather than flat. Several lintels are missing or shaved down. The building has also lost its pressed-metal cornice, the outline of which is still visible.
Shortly after it was completed until the late 1860s the building functioned as military housing.
Block : 401 / Lot : 023 / Building Date : 1859-1860 / Original Owner : William B. Astor / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Unknown