527 East 5th Street | Block : 401 | Lot #50
Description & Building Alterations
Built as a row of 13 speculative tenements developed by William B. Astor in 1860-61, the last 10 buildings, including No. 527, were constructed using the same plan with only minor alterations as material availability changed. The construction began on the western portion of the block and moved east.
No. 527 was designed in the Italianate style, but has lost all of its original detail. The lintels, which would have been simple, arched brownstone, have been removed along with the pressed-metal cornice and the raised-stoop entrance. The small windows that are now glass block were installed in 1904.
Block : 401 / Lot : 050 / Building Date : 1860-1861 (altered) / Original Owner : William B. Astor / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Unknown