531 East 5th Street | Block : 401 | Lot #48
Description & Building Alterations
Built as a row of 13 speculative tenements developed by William B. Astor in between 1860-61, the last ten of the buildings were constructed using the same plan with only minor alterations in details as material availability changed. Of these, No. 531 was the last to be erected.
Designed in the Italianate style, the lintels have been altered with the addition of flat arched hoods, likely metal wraps placed over the original arched lintels. The building would have also had a raised-stoop entrance and a pressed metal cornice, both of which are now missing.
Block : 401 / Lot : 048 / Building Date : 1860-1861 / Original Owner : William B. Astor / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Unknown