533 East 5th Street | Block : 401 | Lot #47
Description & Building Alterations
This old law tenement designed by Nathan Langer employs the Queen Anne style, which mixes the Renaissance Revival and Romanesque Revival styles and it was built in 1899. The deeply recessed arched windows with their brick lintels is indicative of the latter style, while the classically inspired terracotta belt courses and lintels on the other five floors is more in keeping with Renaissance Revival. The building, which housed 24 families on six floors with stores in the partially-raised basement, is now missing its pressed-metal cornice and raised-stoop entrance.
This lot was once part of William B. Astor’s holdings and was leased out to various people between 1850-1875.
Block : 401 / Lot : 047 / Building Date : 1899 / Original Owner : Simon Jacobs / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Nathan Langer