537 East 6th Street | Block : 402 | Lot #47
Description & Building Alterations
The original building on this lot was built in 1862 based on tax assessment records showing an increase in value between 1862 and 1863. The lot was once part of William B. Astor’s holdings between 1850-1875 and was leased out to various people. A 1906 alteration permit shows that the building was a tenement house with stores on the ground floor. The building was five stories with thirty feet of street frontage. The current facade is likely from a 1961 alteration.
It is a two-bay structure, each with three contiguous double-hung aluminum windows. The brick facade is running bond pattern in brown-orange brick. There is some variation in the pattern at the parapet to decorate the top of the facade. There is an air conditioning grate under each set of windows. The entrance is a simple glass door with additional sets of three windows on either side.
Block : 402 / Lot : 047 / Building Date : 1862 / Original Owner : J. Better / Original Use :Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Unknown