538 East 6th Street | Block : 401 | Lot #29
Description & Building Alterations
Constructed as twin buildings on oddly shaped lots (the result of old farm lot lines), Nos. 538 and 540 were constructed in 1899 as old law tenements. No. 538 housed four families per floor for a total of 24 families, with stores and a wood shop in the basement. Designed by Schneider & Herter, it employs the Queen Anne style with elegant terracotta details, brickwork belt courses and a row of arched windows on the third floor. The building would have had a raised-stoop entrance and a pressed-metal cornice. In 1934, the top floor of the building was badly damaged by fire, which likely was the cause for the removal of the cornice.
This lot was once part of William B. Astor’s holdings and was leased out to various people between 1850-1875.
Block : 401 / Lot : 029 / Building Date : 1899 / Original Owner : John Houlaghan / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Schneider & Herter