636 East 6th Street | Block : 387 | Lot #127
Description & Building Alterations
No. 636 East 6th Street was erected in 1846 as a row house. It was altered for the United Brethren Mission of the Moravian Church in 1889 by architects Calvert Vaux and George K. Radford. In 1906, the building became a synagogue. In the 1960s, it went by the name “Iglesia de Dios” pointing to the new Spanish-speaking character of the neighborhood.
The first architect associated with the building, in 1889, is George Kent Radford, who worked with Calvert Vaux on the building adjacent in the same year. Originally a Moravian Chapel, the building also served as a German Church and a synagogue at one time. A rose window was once above the door where there is now a cross in a recessed circle. There was also a cornice at the top of the building, similar in design to its neighbor at 638 East 6th Street. Based on alteration permits from 1909, it appears that the front of the building underwent significant changes. The bricks at the top of the facade are set at forty-five degree angles, creating an interesting pattern and texture. Terra cotta tiles cover the window openings. The openings are capped by decorative brickwork and are arched at the tops; the center opening features a pointed arch.
Block : 387 / Lot : 127 / Building Date : 1846 / Original Owner : John Pheilan / Original Use : Residential / Original Architect : Unknown