66 Second Avenue | Block : 445 | Lot #7
Description & Building Alterations
The Classical Revival building was opened in 1927 as the Public Theatre, showing Yiddish-language productions. It was once known as Antillas Theatre, screening primarily Spanish-language movies. Phyllis Theatre occupied the building in the 1950s and 60s, featuring Off Broadway shows as well as Yiddish-language productions. Later in the 1970s and 80s it was used to hold rock and punk concerts. It was also called the Anderson Theater.
There is a 1993-97 two-story addition set back from the original facade. The facade also features terra cotta beltcourses, rosettes, and a cartouche.
Block : 445 / Lot : 007 / Building Date : 1926-27 / Original Owner : The Oltarsh Building Company, Inc. / Original Use : Theater / Original Architect : David M. Oltarsh & H. Craig Severance