70 East 4th Street | Block : 459 | Lot #21
Description & Building Alterations
This building was originally built as a Greek Revival-style row house of three and a half stories as part of the Albion Place development. Most of the original details have been removed or concealed, including the stoop and the facade has been resurfaced.
In 1868, this building served as the headquarters for The Office of Asylum and Secretary, an organization whose mission was to support (primarily German) orphans and neglected children. Fifteen years later, the building was occupied by the offices of St. Joseph’s Orphan Asylum.
Various German and Hungarian organizations occupied this building, which came to be known as Ruppiner’s Hall following the turn of the century. Starting in 1903, this building was used routinely used by various lodges of the Knights and Ladies of the Golden Star and the Knights and Ladies of Honor. It was also utilized throughout 1906 as a meeting place for various lodges of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
A paper factory was located within this building in 1914. At the end of the year, 49-year-old Joseph Albert, a paper box manufacturer at this location, was arrested trying to start a fire in the basement.
In 1979, the offices of the Department of Housing Preservation and Development were located here.
Block : 459 / Lot : 021 / Building Date : 1832-33 / Original Owner : Russel Stebbins / Original Use : Residential / Original Architect : Unknown