701 East 6th Street | Block : 376 | Lot #63
Description & Building Alterations
A two story stable and carriage house was constructed on this lot in 1868 by David Jones using architects Thompson & Walsh. By 1916 it had become a synagogue, one family dwelling and stable owned by the Michael J. Adrian Corp of 137 East 34th Street. That same year a freight elevator was installed. In 1964 the former stable became a food store and the upper two floors were demolished by owner Samuel Spiess of 92 Avenue C. Also in that year a certificate of occupancy was filed for a public garage which was denied. Subsequently, a permit was filed for a warehouse. The building was acquired by the Iglesia Pentecostal Church in 1977 which built a new second story in 2001.
Block : 376 / Lot : 063 / Building Date : 1868 / Original Owner : David Jones/ Original Use : Commercial / Original Architect : Thompson and Welsh