76 Avenue B | Block : 401 | Lot #41
Description & Building Alterations
With its Neo-Grec details, like the incised window lintels, intricate brick patterns on the pilasters on the East 5th Street facade and the pressed metal cornice with prominent, squared pediment still intact, 76 Avenue B is a lovely example of an old law tenement building. Designed in 1889 by architect William Graul, the five-story polychrome building, with light terracotta contrasting the red brick of the facade, originally housed 16 families above five ground-floor stores.
This lot was once part of William B. Astor’s holdings and was leased out to various people between 1850-1875.
Block : 401 / Lot : 041 / Building Date : 1889 / Original Owner : Charles F.A. Newman / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : William Graul