9 St. Mark’s Place | Block : 464 | Lot #55
Description & Building Alterations
According to tax assessment records, this five story house was constructed in 1836 for Edward Wilkes. The land was formerly owned by Thomas E. Davis who purchased the property in 1831-1832 and surrounding area on Eighth Street from Peter Stuyvesant. Davis was a 19th century real estate developer who created St. Mark’s Place. The house has Flemish bond brickwork everywhere except the top floor. This is the result of an 1897 alteration, when the attic was raised to a full story. At the time, the house was used as a one family residence with space for a business and a bowling alley in the basement. In 1924, two families occupied the building, along with a pool parlor and a restaurant.
Block : 464 / Lot : 55 / Building Date : 1836 / Original Owner : Edward Wilkes / Original Use : Residential / Original Architect : Unknown