96 East 7th Street | Block : 434 | Lot #12
Description & Building Alterations
This neo-grec five-story with basement tenement was constructed in 1881. It is located in the East Village/Lower East Side Historic District. The designation report lists D.F. Valentine as the owner but per the Real Estate Record and Builders Guide (see link at the left), Peter Schaeffler was listed as owner, architect and builder on the NB permit. Since 2016, legendary punk rock outfitter Trash & Vaudeville has occupied a retail space on the first floor.
The present facade features some of the original decorations including significant features like the bracketed-galvanized iron cornice, the incised stone lintels and sills, cast-iron columns and frame surround entrance among others. More information can be found in the designation report, linked in the “Additional Resources” section.
Block : 434 / Lot : 012 / Building Date : 1881 / Original Owner : Peter Shaeffler / Original Use : Residential / Original Architect : Peter Schaeffler