41 1/2 Second Avenue | Block : 458 | Lot #30
Description & Building Alterations
The New York Marble Cemetery of 1830 was the first non-sectarian burial ground in the city opened to the public (the second, the similarly-named New York City Marble Cemetery located a block east, dates to 1832). Surrounded by houses and tenements, it is a designated New York City Landmark and is listed on the State and National Register of Historic Places.
The cemetery is located at the center of the block and is bordered by buildings on all four sides. A casual passerby may not even realize it’s there unless he/she happens to notice it through the narrow gated passage off Second Avenue. To learn more about the cemetery, please see the links in the sidebar.
Block : 458 / Lot : 030 / Building Date : 1830 / Original Owner : Anthony Dey & George W. Strong (as trustees) / Original Use : Cemetery / Original Architect : Perkins Nicholes